Historical and Factural Errors in the Talk Series
Errata from the talk series "Meher Baba and the Future." Please comment below if you see more errors so I can add them here.
Talks 1 and 2
In both talks 1 & 2, I erroneously said Baba's quote about a transition from reason to intuition was in the 1st discourse in his book Discourses. It is actually on p. 268 of the 1987 edition. It is however the 1st discourse in the Meher Baba Journal, Vol. 1, no. 1. p. 4.
Talk 2
In a presentation slide at 11:10 it erroneously reads “1600 years ago.” It should say “2600 years ago.”
Talk 3
At time 9:49 I mistakenly say that Socrates became famous in his 70s. Socrates became famous in later life, but only lived to be 71. Also, I erroneously said Aristotle wrote On the Soul at Plato's Academy, though I admitted I was not sure. The book was actually collected from lecture notes after his death by students at his own later school The Lyceum.
Talk 4
At 52:32 I repeated a common myth that Descartes vivisected his wife's pet dog. In truth Descartes never married and died a bachelor.
Talk 6
At timestamp 47:00 I said the HBO series 'West World' was a spinoff from a movie in the 60s. The original movie 'West World' was released in 1973.
Talk 7
- At 00:56 I said 'a slide' but meant 'a seesaw' for what you push down at one end to make a child rise up at the other.
- At 1:15:11 I quote the historical fallacy in reverse. I described it as 'looking for the effect in the cause.' The correct order of words is 'looking for the cause in the effect.'
- I said Thomas Reid was an amateur philosopher. He was not. It was Sir Hamilton, who spent his life promoting the ideas of Reid, who was an amateur philosopher, and I suspect it was his life spent in dedication to promoting and spreading the philosophy of Reid that influenced the dictionary gaff at the turn of the century.
- I said that Copernicus was a Franciscan. Copernicus was never ordained as a priest, nor was he a monk or friar, though it is a common misconception he was. However, several people influential in the development of the scientific method were Franciscans, such as Roger Bacon and William of Ockham.
- At timestamp 44:50 I accidentally referred to the fox in the slide as a wolf.
At timestamp 47:40 I feel I didn't do a good job addressing Ann McEvoy's question. She brought up the fact that Baba said there is really no evil, but only degrees of good. I wish to point out that the color black is really nothing more than the absence of color. Nevertheless, few would disagree that we experience the color black in our daily lives.
At timestamp 51:50 I referred to Thomas Nagel's 2012 book "Mind and Cosmos" as "Matter and Cosmos."

One note on Psyche (Ψυχή): it was used by Homer, though at the time it did not account for all the attricbutes we find later in Plato's use of the term. In its Homeric use it indicated something of a "body image or reflection". So it would seem that Thale's philosophic use of it as a force, and possibly further uses by other philosphers, prepared the way for the sharp differentiation between phyche and body that we find in Plato.
ReplyDeleteThank you Stelios. The psyche was always blurry to me.
Delete